Monday, January 31, 2011

Anchor {Patter Cross ABC Scripture Challenge 2011}

Though I submitted my "B - Bible" page first for Patter Cross's 2011 Scripture Challenge, my "A - Anchor" page was not too far behind! (thankfully! :)



This page was fun to create! The symbolism was a given - Anchor! :) And of the handful of Cricut cartridges I have, I did not have a single *anchor*! :( So, I borrowed the idea from another submission to Patter's challenge and put together 2 "t"s. Then I inked them up with copper embossing ink and embossed it to give a metallic look. Then I made a little chain with jump rings, and added a cross charm -as the Cross of Christ is our anchor in this life - our only and GLORIOUS hope to be reconciled to God our Father.

I used a Rope border punch, tore the tops of the blue cardstock to create a wave effect, and used this adorable blue ribbon with sailboats that I purchased from Michael's a few years ago. :) And of course, a little jute here and there to give it a few rustic bits that I felt it called for.



I knew right away I wanted to make this fun little quilled sailboat that I had seen in a magazine a while back. Though quilling is a little tedious, it is not too difficult and adds such a sweet custom touch to projects! :) Love it! For the mast, I cut a toothpick to size and rolled it in the copper ink.


The scripture I chose to use is {Romans 5:1-2}

1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

(copied from Bible Gateway)

The anchor that holds my ship firm through the storms of this life is the unfailing HOPE that Christ has gained my access for me! On days when my sin is *larger than life* and I feel beaten down and wholly unworthy of any notice, much less acceptance, of a good and righteous God, the anchor that holds is the TRUTH that I am not granted access to the throne of my worthy King because of anything (A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G!) I have done or NOT done, but by grace alone, through faith alone that Christ has justified me! I bare HIS righteousness ALONE! When God looks at me - a pitiful, rescued, adopted child - He does not see my countless failures, numerous shortcomings and epic mistakes. He sees the gift I bare of the righteous goodness of His one and only Son! Jesus makes me acceptable before a Holy God!! Praise Him! THAT is my anchor!

Will this not make us blatant about our actions, flagrantly going about sinning as we please, knowing that He will still extend to us repentance? Not at all! If we are indeed granted the humility to see and own our sinful state, we see ALL THE MORE the goodness and mercy of our loving God! It brings us to heights of gratitude and overflows LOVE from the depths of our heart, laced with amazement and thanksgiving!

It brings to mind this amazing quote of John Newton, English hymn writer and former captain of a slaves ship (as stated in this biography clip).

On December 21st, 1807, he fell asleep in Jesus, in his eighty-third year. William Jay, of Bath, saw him not long before his death; the bright mind had become clouded and the speech affected, but the visitor carried away one precious utterance; let us never forget John Newton's dying words. He said to Mr. Jay: "My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things — that I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour."

PRAISE GOD! His anchor HELD firm to the end!

May this, too, be said of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment